MAKER SKILLS ACADEMY
A unique and effective alternative to traditional educational paths.
Ideal for those that want to work with their minds AND their hands.
Prepares students for the thousands of opportunities in Advanced Manufacturing and skilled maker careers.
The Maker Skills Academy is the ultimate Gap Year program for those who want to learn an incredible range of hands-on career skills. The best part is that it only takes six months and open to everyone 16 and older. Plus, you will be in an incredibly creative environment, learning a wide range of in-demand skills, and have the opportunity to practice in a world-class prototyping facility.
The Maker Skills Academy is perfect for those who want to differentiate themselves, learn a breadth of fundamental hands-on skills, and become much more desirable to employers.
Employers today are looking for those with a breadth of hands-on skills AND soft skills. Maker Skills Academy was created to meet the needs of a career-centric workforce. Our goals are to teach real world skills, get our students career ready, and show them the amazing opportunities in the world of making.
In addition, the economy and workplace are changing at a rapid pace. Robots and automation are coming for those with a single skill or no skills. It’s simple, we believe that either robots can take your job or robots can BE your job! The only way to be future-proof is being multi-skilled.
But this program is not just for those looking for career skills. Maker Skills Academy is for artists, inventors, entrepreneurs, and others looking to gain an uncommon set of skills. Our program can also give those considering engineering schools an unfair advantage. We would be happy to tell you why.
The Maker Skills Academy is limited to only EIGHT students per team. Enrolling now, call for details!
What You Learn
- This intensive, one-of-a-kind program includes ALL of our currently available class. That’s over 90 classes!
- Practical, hands-on classes in a wide range of critical maker skills:
- 3D Printing, Computer Aided Design, Laser Cutting and Engraving
- Sewing and Textiles, Plastics, Vacuforming, Mold Making, Costume, and Prop Making
- Fundamental Electronics, Soldering, Hardware Programming, Raspberry Pi, and Arduino
- Welding and Fabrication, Woodworking, Machine Shop Basics, Power Tools, and Hand Tools
- CNC Machining, Prototype Design, 3D Papercraft, and Model Making
- Life and career soft skills for manufacturing, engineering, and many other jobs.
Why Choose Vocademy
- Unique learning experience for anyone seeking to become a valuable asset in industry and the world.
- No other place of learning offers such a breadth of subjects and access.
- Access to the tools of making, every evening, 7 days a week.
- Opportunity to develop an amazing set of skills for career, personal enrichment, or engineering schools.
- Vocademy Certificates of Completion for every subject completed.
- Collaborate and work on your projects using modern and traditional equipment.
How You Learn
- By practicing what you have learned in class and creating of projects
- Instruction that leans heavily toward hands-on, practical skills learning
- Self-guided learning between classes
- Maximum of eight students per cohort
- All students 16 years of age or older (students under 18 need full parental permission)
- Excellent instructor-to-student ratio
- Effective and intimate learning of skills
- Modern facility with over $500,000 of traditional and state-of-the-art manufacturing equipment
Expectations of Students
- No midterms or finals. Projects, work, and results speak for our students.
- Students must commit to classes, attendance, and the creation of projects.
- Sign a Commitment Pledge to put forth their best effort, ensuring a successful learning experience.
- Continue self-guided depth learning and skills practice during maker lab hours and personal time.
- Complete a final capstone project their maker portfolio. Can be solo or team work.
What is Included
- Six months of subjects and classes designed by industry experts and based on real-world employment.
- Certificates of Completion in every subject included.
- All raw materials, tools, and supplies needed in class.
- Six months of maker lab access with use of equipment taught in class. 7-days-a-week, 5pm-10pm
- A Vocademy work shirt, basic measuring and hands tool set, a shop apron, and safety glasses.
- An incredibly creative environment, surrounded by other makers, students, and engineers.
- An Intellectual Property (IP) free facility. You make it – you own it!
- On-site storage for small personal projects, raw materials, and supplies available for an additional fee.
- Use of equipment and resources for creation of items for sale is not allowed during this program.
- 25% non-refundable down payment required to reserve a spot. Remainder due on the first day of class.
- Raw materials and supplies for capstone project, personal projects, and for outside of class practice is NOT included.
- We recommend a $2,000 – $3,000 parts and materials budget for capstone project and personal projects.
- Payment plans are available. This program is non-refundable.
- This program is not accredited or certified by any sanctioning organization.