SEWING & TEXTILES FUNDAMENTALS COURSE
- This hands-on course covers all the fundamentals of traditional sewing and textiles skills.
- 12 classes, with 36 hours of instruction in a small group of students.
- 3 Months of Maker Lab Access included.
- Classes are 80% hands-on training. To help build confidence in this subject area.
- These foundational skills are vital for those looking for careers in sewing, textiles, fashion, tailoring, and other related industries.
- Careers in these fields start at $30,000 a year.
- This course is also ideal for those looking to gain practical skills for personal enrichment.
- Upon finishing the classes and test project, students will receive a Vocademy Certificate of Completion.
Sewing basics beginning with threading the machine, threading the bobbin, standard stitch, backstick, stitch length and ironing. The proper use of scissors and notions and accurate pattern cutting, marking and layout. Safety including hand and body placement as well as speed and time frame to finish.
Deeper understanding of subejcts covered in class 112-100. Notions (scissiors) and hand sewing. Types of fabrics, purchasing the correct fabric, and sources. Setting machine tension and stiches for different types of fabrics.
Basic pattern knowledge from measuring, pattern numbers, sizes, selecting materials and notions. Proper use of fabric width, layout, symbols and marking. Measuring for body sizing and basics concepts of creating your own patterns.
Essential techniques for hemming by hand and machine. Blind hem, top stitch hem, creating clean sharp professional looking seams and finishes. Use of pinking shears and finishing raw edges to prevent fraying. How to sew decorative edges to create more elaborate detailing.
Choosing and changing the proper zipper, presser foot. Identifying proper zipper type and technique for the garment and planning for proper seam allowances. Choosing buttons, sewing, and marking and opening buttonholes. Piping choices and techniques.
Learn how to add fullness to projects and garments. Make gathers by hand and machine. Learn the importance of casing and covering distinct elastic waistbands.
Learn how to control fullness by properly using three different garment construction techniques: darts, tucks, and pleats.
Making general alterations to garments using fitting, measurements, darts, hems, marking, and sizing.
Making general alterations to scrub tops by measuring, marking, and altering the bodice.
How to use a high speed industrial zigzag sewing machine. Machine settings, application, body positioning, and safety. Students will learn the settings, basic functions, basic stitches, how to thread the machine, and how to use the machine safely.
Deeper understanding of subejcts covered in class 112-300. Using the correct fabrics, and sources. Machine settings, adjusting tension, and stitch lengths for different types of fabrics.
Practice previously learned sewing and textiles skills under the supervision of, and with the help of, an instructor. Discussion of personal projects and project ideas.